Mystery squash???

ElizaRoseElizaRose East AngliaPosts: 121
Hi, this veg self-seeded in my mom’s garden. They may be from two separate plants. These plants are sprawling with loads of flowers but only these two veg have appeared. My sister believe they may be heritage zucchini from last year. Any idea what they might be? TIA.

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,372
    There are lots of varieties of round courgettes and that looks similar to the one I have grown, although mine did not have quite such pronounced dark ribs. Looks like they are ready to pick. Great stuffed and roasted!
  • ElizaRoseElizaRose East AngliaPosts: 121
    edited 6 August
    Thanks Nollie, I'll let my sister know. We were wondering whether if they ripe or needed a bit more time.
    p.s. These are in New York,  not East Anglia. Just visiting my mom.
  • We had something like this last year, it seemed to be like a cross between a pumpkin and a courgette so we named it a pumpquette! It tasted lovely! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,448
    Possibly a cross pollinated seed from the compost?  We get them occasionally. I’d cook it as a courgette/marrow and not expect it to ripen like a winter squash that gets a tough skin and will store. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hi, thanks for the feedback - my family liked your name for the pumpkin/courgette cross TheOriginalAbi. We have picked the one in the bottom pic and it sounds very hollow so I gather it is ripe. We haven't cooked it yet.
    edited 15 September
    Update: my mom and sister rested the squash in the second pic, with some honey I think. They said it had no flavour, lol. They didn't want to bother with the one in the first pic, which turned orange.