Phone advice needed !!

Nothing to do with plants in any way , but I can't seem to find an answer .
My telephone landline has been unuseable for the past week ,  unable to make or receive calls .
TalkTalk are willing to send out an engineer at some date pre-arranged by us , but what I don't understand is that my broadband is unaffected , even though coming through the same line !
Does this indicate a fault with the handset ? It is around 5-6 years old .
As you may gather , I'm not very knowledgeable in these matters , so was wondering if anyone out there 'in the know' so to speak could advise .
(I hope it is the handset really , then I can simply buy a new one ) !

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,137
    Have you got or can you borrow another from somewhere, just to try? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,726
    Good idea Lyn ; will contact my work colleague to bring his this morning .
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,667
    sometimes it's the filters that are plugged into the phone sockets that can cause problems.
    If you have a spare, try replacing it
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,569
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the line is split so you have both phone and broadband coming into your home where it is then 'split' with a DSL filter.
    This means you can use phone and broadband simultaneously whereas in the past you could only use one or the other.So it is possible there is a fault with either the DSL filter or the phone line itself.
    The DSL filter looks like this and plugs into the phone socket.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,322
    It's more than likely to be the handset, or the wee filter that @Pete.8 and @madpenguin mention. 
    I had my Dad's old phones, and when mine went, I used his for a few years until they started to fail as well, despite replacing the batteries. 
    Hopefully it's something that simple @Paul B3 and your friend's phone will work  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,529
    We have had problems with our phone line for 10 years and dozens of visits from Openreach in that time so I've been round these loops a few times. If you lived near me I'd suggest you check the back of a few hay wagons for bits of phone cable. 

We often have had a situation where the noise on the phone line has made it unusable but the broadband was still working. I know pretty much exactly what our 'normal' broadband speed is and I test it often, so I also know that although the broadband is functioning when the phone line is bad, it's a lot slower than when the phone line is clear.

We still get problems that when we make a phone call, it 'drops' the broadband out. We have brand new shiny filters and master socket - the problem is in the line not the house equipment (that's all been tested and tested and tested and tested).

IME, Openreach engineers generally don't understand how the system works. they simply work through a standard set of tests which tells them they have to go to such a such a pole/cabinet/exchange and they often don't have any real clue what to look for when they get there. So they just jiggle a few things - unplug it, blow on it and plug it back in again sort of thing - and hope for the best.

I think if you borrow a handset - or buy a cheap one in Argos - to see if it's your handset that's a good start. If you have an external filter like the one in madpenguin's post, get hold of a new one of those too. Otherwise it's entirely possible that it's a dodgy cable or a loose connection in the local 'cab' (green box on the pavement).

It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,667
    I should have mentioned above that you need to have a working filter in every phone socket in the house, even if there's no phone plugged in.
    My neighbour had a similar problem a few years ago, fortunately I had several spare filters, we replaced all 3 of them and the phone worked again.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 880
    There are a few different designs of faceplate out there and more recent ones have filtering built in so there may not be any external filters on your system. It is possible to have internet and no phone but if your phone isn't working your internet won't be at its best either. 

We keep an old wired handset around as these will still work during power cuts. They are also handy for testing the line as you can rule out any problems with the wireless side of things.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 880
    Pardon the jargon - the faceplate is the small white box where the line into your house connects and has sockets for plugging in your phone and/or internet.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 831
    We had this situation and the engineer said that the phone line consists of 2 wires and broadband can continue to work if one of them has a discontinuity whereas the phone needs both to be continuous. According to OH this is because phone is analogue and broadband is digital