A wander around Great Dixter - 4 August 2019

amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 394
We popped for another look around Great Dixter, and it was great to introduce a couple of family members who thankfully found it intriguing and very different...which was a relief! Thought I'd post a few photos for your delectation.

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,110
    Beautiful place George.
    there are some lovely gardens in Kent and Sussex. The main thing I regretted moving away from Kent. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,038
    Thank you so much George ... Gt Dixter is the garden I covet ... I love it 🥰 
    Lovely photos that really give the spirit of the place. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,406
    Thank you @amancalledgeorge - wonderful photos, and great composition. Such clarity too. Great Dixter is still my favourite garden out of all that I have visited, and you've really captured it. I long to go back - you're very lucky to be able to 'pop in" :smile:
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,554
    Such a beautiful garden.I went with my Mum at the beginning of June and it was absolutely wonderful and we had the most glorious weather.Your photos show that the garden has changed in the 2 months since we went and still looks wonderful!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 394
    Yes it's wonderful to notice the transformation through the seasons @madpenguin I have to try to visit a bit more frequently...once a year isn't enough 😉
    Glad you've enjoyed the shots...always feel that I don't quite capture much of the spirit...but always worth a try. 
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,986
    edited 5 August
    Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous photographs with us amancalledgeorge and madpenguin. What a stunning series of gardens. I really like that there are not swathes of boring 'lawn'.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,369
    Beautiful pictures AMCG.  So clear and very artistic in your selection.  I’d love to follow the paths in pictures 1&2.   You certainly have captured the spirit of GD.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,038
    GD is one of the few gardens which look amazing in high summer when so many gardens look a bit as if they’ve run out of steam. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

So true @Dovefromabove the exotic garden was so much more verdant than last year, so impressive. It's so wonderful that Lloyd's spirit lives on and it still feels so personal.