Forum home Problem solving

What is happening to my plant

Something thing is killing/ eating my plants I don’t know what so can some one tell me what is happening to my plants

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,497
    Are your plants very old cherry? I only ask this as some plants, as they age, do tend to die off in the middle and its a good idea to take cuttings from the outside of the clump, or even detach some young rooted bits from the outside and replant, getting rid of the older woody bits.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • cherry7cherry7 Posts: 49
    Plant is 15 years old 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I'll hazard a guess that that was a variegated box (buxus) ball and has suffered from box blight:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,497
    I thought that the plant might be Euonymus 'Emerald Gaiety'
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I think it looks like a Euonymus fortunei, and possibly has suffered in the dry weather. Sometimes, evergreen shrubs can take up to a year to show problems. If you did not notice any yellowing or white spots before the leaf drop, then I suspect it's dying slowly due to lack of water. I would continue to water them around the base. Generous amounts in the evenings every 3-4 days for now to see if it will recover. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    If it were mine I would dig it out, once plants get old and start to look like that one, it’s got to go. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    Fifteen years is a good age. Time for it to visit the great compost heap in the sky, and be replaced. A new planting opportunity  :)
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Looks like an euonymus to me.  Before you dig it out and scrap it take a careful look at the stems and remaining leaves to see if you can see anything like scale insect that might have killed it. If so Take it down to the dump not on your compost heap. 

And you could try to take cuttings from a couple of the shoots that remain.