Curved Border Edging

Hi all, 

I have this curved border that I want to raise about 5 inches or so and need something to edge it with. I originally wanted to use log roll but after some research found out they rot pretty quick. Had thought about big rocks or something?

Ideally want it to look natural and be low(ish) maintenance.

Thanks in advance. 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 493
    edited 4 August
    Big rocks would work but not low maintenance as trying to edge the lawn in front of such an uneven surface would be difficult. You could set them in about 6 ins or so from the grass then you can edge with a strimmer or by hand.
    Rocks are expensive to buy unless you live in Derbyshire where you find them surfacing in your garden over time!
    If you Google brick edging ideas there are loads of edging ideas using different materials.
  • cassie.a.stewartcassie.a.stewart Posts: 147
    edited 4 August
    Hmmm I wonder if I could use what Anni suggested and then put the rocks in front of it to hide it so it looks more natural?

Was thinking something like these... 

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,772
    The rocks aren't really an 'edging' - grass would get into it and you wouldn't be able to mow up to it, creating a maintenance problem. The rocks are a 'wall'. You need an edging between them and the grass, so you can mow up to the edge of the grass without hitting rocks, and so coarse grasses don't invade the rocks.

Since you've already got bricks, I would go for a little brick wall. You'll be able to strim right up to it and grass won't be able to get into it. You could have a row of bricks at ground level to make it easier to mow up to.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,772
    This one shows would work actually since you've got an actual edge to the lawn, so it's separate from the stones. 

I would think about 'sweetening up' that curve where it meets the patio, so you don't have that awkward angle where it meets.

• WillDB said:
    This one shows would work actually since you've got an actual edge to the lawn, so it's separate from the stones. 

I would think about 'sweetening up' that curve where it meets the patio, so you don't have that awkward angle where it meets.

Thanks, tbh I don't mind the grass growing inbetween the rocks as I think this'll make it look more natural. Could I not just use a strimmer to trim up to the rocks?
  • FoxiesFoxies Posts: 18
    This is what I did Cassie as I don't like neat'n'tidy and keep the grass longer ... (Sorry for the pics but I was taking some for another post) I long mow and then just go round with a hand trimmer thing - one of the Bosch ones - I don't find it a problem. (The bald spots are where I allowed borage to self seed) 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,312
    I think it would just look messy @cassie.a.stewart.
    If you want a layer of rocks, whether a single tier or more, you can always leave a gap between them and the grass which you can fill with a layer of gravel. Easier to keep tidy. 
    Another alternative which would be fairly inexpensive and easy to do, is to do your own log edging using round poles. Cut pieces to the height you want, factoring in a bit extra, dig a small trench, and put in a layer of concrete to set them into - vertically. You can do a  bit at a time, according to your abilities and time.
    There's ready to use, and ready to mix, concrete available, and the only other equipment you need, other than a saw, is a spirit level. You can add a haunch of concrete in at the back for extra support if you make it any bigger than about 6 inches. 

Again, a small gap between any barrier and grass, is beneficial for grass cutting.  If you feel able to do it, a small layer of concrete would also be a very effective gap filler.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    I think it would just look messy @cassie.a.stewart.
    If you want a layer of rocks, whether a single tier or more, you can always leave a gap between them and the grass which you can fill with a layer of gravel. Easier to keep tidy. 
    Another alternative which would be fairly inexpensive and easy to do, is to do your own log edging using round poles. Cut pieces to the height you want, factoring in a bit extra, dig a small trench, and put in a layer of concrete to set them into - vertically. You can do a  bit at a time, according to your abilities and time.
    There's ready to use, and ready to mix, concrete available, and the only other equipment you need, other than a saw, is a spirit level. You can add a haunch of concrete in at the back for extra support if you make it any bigger than about 6 inches. 

Again, a small gap between any barrier and grass, is beneficial for grass cutting.  If you feel able to do it, a small layer of concrete would also be a very effective gap filler.  :)
    Thanks, I like the idea of gravel but wouldn't the grass grow into it?

The log edging sounds good too as I originally wanted log roll, would it absolutely HAVE to be set in concrete as I didnt want to use croncrete because I've had to remove a concrete wall on another border so if I changed my mind in future it'd be too much work to remove! 
  • Foxies said:
    This is what I did Cassie as I don't like neat'n'tidy and keep the grass longer ... (Sorry for the pics but I was taking some for another post) I long mow and then just go round with a hand trimmer thing - one of the Bosch ones - I don't find it a problem. (The bald spots are where I allowed borage to self seed) 
    That looks great is it just dry stacked slate?