Small tree.......

Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,426
Hi everyone, I want to plant a small wildlife attracting tree in my front garden.  Having researched I am torn between a Strawberry Tree and an Amelanchier.  Can I  have your opinions on either or both please.  Also, if anyone knows of other small trees I may have overlooked......I would like your input too.  Thanks

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,619
    Hello Mary  :)
    I can't comment on the Strawberry tree,  but from personal experience I would recommend the amelanchier. The one in our garden is 30 years old, and has never failed to put on a lovely show of blossom, then berries, then autumn colour.
    The bees love the blossom, the birds the berries, and l have seen hedgehogs making use of the dried leaves for nesting.  Definitely a good value for money tree! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,050
    Another another vote here for amelanchier ... our multistemmed tree planted 4 years ago is a constant delight ... love it 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,228
    Another vote for Amelanchier here   :)

Have you considered a Rowan though? IMO the native one is best, but there are lots of lovely varieties which are readily available. They have a light canopy, superb autumn colours and great for all sorts of insects and birds.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,426
    Thanks all for the input.....