Forum home Problem solving

Cat leaving poop on paving slabs

I like to think of myself as a decent cat owner, having trained her well, making sure my cat does her business in the back garden, but sometimes she craftily does so in other gardens. Recently I've noticed some cat poop turning up at the bottom of the garden, always at the edge on the paving slabs. Its never covered, and even after sweeping all leaves up it still shows up now and then. In all my 15 years of owning my cat I've never seen her poop on concrete or any non soil surface. So I didn't think it was her. In fact, it isn't. I've kept her in this week at night, and some time in the early hours the mystery cat poops, leaving me to clear it up again and again ¬_¬

I've heard of deterrents, but whats going to work on a wide area that isn't soil? I'm a little stumped tbh. Why would a cat do this on non soil?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,303
    RubyLeaf said:

I've heard of deterrents, but whats going to work on a wide area that isn't soil? I'm a little stumped tbh. Why would a cat do this on non soil?
    because they piss and shit and kill when ever ,and where ever they want to?? Just a thought.
    Devon.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Sure it’s a cat?  Sounds more like a fox to me..

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Dominant tom cats sometimes leave their droppings as a marker to remind other cats of their territory. Not easy to stop, but easy to see and dispose of, so better than among the flowers.  Hosta doesn't like cats very much, don't let it upset you.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,303
    Posy said:
      Hosta doesn't like cats very much, don't let it upset you.
    Correction, I hate loathe and despise the psychopathic killers with every fibre of my being. Unless they're kept indoors, in which case, they're lovely.
    Devon.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,537
    Polecats also do it in the open, often on rocks, so maybe you have an exotic interloper! Time to get a catcam!
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,533
    Posy said:
    Dominant tom cats sometimes leave their droppings as a marker to remind other cats of their territory. Not easy to stop, but easy to see and dispose of, so better than among the flowers. 
    There is no 'better' location when somebody's cat decides to dump in my garden.  It is the most disgusting stuff to clean up and I don't see why I should have to.
  • RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 248
    Helix said:
    Sure it’s a cat?  Sounds more like a fox to me..

That was my first thought too, but it doesn't look or smell like it. Plus its in the back garden, which wouldn't be easy for a fox to access.

Posy said:
    Dominant tom cats sometimes leave their droppings as a marker to remind other cats of their territory. Not easy to stop, but easy to see and dispose of, so better than among the flowers.  Hosta doesn't like cats very much, don't let it upset you.
    There is one cat that comes to mind. A male that frequents our garden earlier in the year, yowling until my female cat hangs out with him or gets fed up and leaves. This cat has twice beat up my neighbour's cat leaving his cat with such a terrible wound by his eye he has had to visit the vet twice. Makes me think this cat hasn't been sprayed. I'm sure that cat fits the dominant tom cat role..

KT53 said:
    Posy said:
    Dominant tom cats sometimes leave their droppings as a marker to remind other cats of their territory. Not easy to stop, but easy to see and dispose of, so better than among the flowers. 
    There is no 'better' location when somebody's cat decides to dump in my garden.  It is the most disgusting stuff to clean up and I don't see why I should have to.
    Indeed. I do try to deter and stop mine from doing it in other peoples garden, especially when I'm in the front tending to the plants. 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,325
    Nollie said:
    Time to get a catcam!
    I agree. Set up a motion triggered camera by the paving slabs for a start, so you can see which cat (or other animal) is doing it. Then move the camera until you find out where it's getting in to your garden. Then set up a water scarecrow or change the fencing at the entry point to see if you can deter it. 

If it is another cat, for your own cat's sake you need to try to stop it coming in. A stray took up residence near us and started beating up the neighbour's cat on a regular basis. In the end we trapped the stray and took it to the CPL. They will help if it's a stray or feral cat. If it's a neighbour's pet cat, there's not much you can do except try to make your garden harder to get to in the hope he goes elsewhere.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,632
    Why when it is so cheep to get a tom done dont people DO IT!!! Plus why do people think having a cat means put it out and let it wander! A pet is just that a pet and should stay indoors safe from cars, others and injury. My suggestion is get a catio,  safe outdoor living for a cat.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,325
    The Whaley Bridge drama makes that point very well, @purplerallium. There are rescue teams still trying to catch people's cats that were presumably out when the evac was imposed and people had to leave them behind. So those people are taking risks with their own safety, trying to feed and catch the cats 3 days later. Dogs, budgies, fish and reptiles have all been safely collected (or were never left behind). It's the cats they are still trying to catch
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”