Forum home Problem solving

Sweet peas

My sweet peas have loads of leaves, they are growing well but not a flower in sight, what has happened?
In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Possibly too much nitrogen. If you are feeding them, switch to a high potash fertiliser such as Tomorite.  Make sure they do not get dry at the roots.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    I'd agree with @fidgetbones. They need a feed which help promote flowering.

It's still slightly strange that there are no flowers forming though. Even though this year has been trickier here than usual, with plants slow to grow well, there are plenty of flowers forming and opening. If they have a reasonable medium to grow in, there should have been buds by now. Did you sow them quite late? Are they in the ground or in pots, and what height are they? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• They are in compost in a raised bed, about 3 ft tall.  They were grown from seed & sown late but just no sign of flowers at all, I will start to feed them to see if that helps. Thank you
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    Sown any later than around early June will make it hard for them to mature and flower before colder weather hits them, but if they're that height now, you should get flowers for a while before that happens.
    I'd expect some buds in the next week or two  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....