Forum home Problem solving

Very unwell twisted willow

I think my much loved twisted willow was the victim of total leaf scorch a few weeks ago after hot, windy weather. All the leaves have gone brown & curled, no green at all, despite plenty of watering since. Can anyone advise whether it's wise to prune now or should I leave it? I read  somewhere I should wait until the spring when hopefully new life can emerge. Any other suggestions for tlc welcome I'm really worried it might have had it! Some of the smaller branches are turning black which can't be good.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    Hard to over water a willow so keep watering in dry spells and warm spells.  Prune out any stems that are all black but leave the rest and wait and see with fingers crossed.  If t does produce new foliage this year take one or two cuttings as insurance in case it's all too much and it doesn't survive winter.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    We had one once. It did very well but died quite suddenly. When we dug it up, the roots had grown twisted around themselves and we concluded that it had committed suicide - despite getting plenty of water, it couldn't pass through the tangled mess it had made.