Forum home Problem solving

Dead Wisteria?

I’ve had a wisteria growing very happily for approx 3 years. After flowering this year, over the course of a couple of weeks towards the end of June all the leaves dried up and dropped off. I couldn’t see any signs of insects on the leaves. I’ve just taken the compost out and there’s no signs of any bug in there. Does anyone know what may have caused this and whether it’s likely to come back?! Photos attached. 

Thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    If it's in a pot, thirst.  Try giving it a good drink and see if it recovers.  May be a bit late now if it's not been watered since it dried up.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,436

Is there a photo or is it my poor Internet?

Plants in pots, if it is, need a lot more watering in summer than plants in the ground.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Tom68Tom68 Posts: 20
    Thanks both. I think I posted a photo of it! Will try again. It’s in a bottomless pot. I give it plenty of water, and I live in South Wales so it gets its fair share of rain too! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    Rain is never enough for pots especially when you're expectng a plant to grow and flower!   Nor should there ever be exposed roots like that.  They'll dry out and not be able to do their job of passing nutrients and water up to  the bits above ground which, in turn, photosynthesise energy from the sun to pass down to the roots.

As you have a couple ofmonths to go before ideal planting time, I sugest you cover up those roots with a couple ofinches of good compost and water the plant thoroughly and then regularly.   If it is alive t should re-shoot.  If not, it won't and you can then hoik it out in autumn, re-vitalise the soil in there and plant a new specimen to which I hope you will be kinder.

Have a read of this too for info and follow all the links:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/wisteria/growing-guide 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Tom68Tom68 Posts: 20
    Thanks Obelixx,

i changed the compost today to look for vine weavil grubs and took a photo of the roots whilst they were exposed (another plant in the garden was recently attacked by them, but couldn’t find them here). They were covered up immediately after. I do top it up with water during the summer months as I would a pot. 

I didnt think there were masses of roots but they weren’t completely cut off as I thought they would have been if it couldn’t take up anymore water. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,436
    Oh dear, doesn't look very good. I'm sorry I don't know what the problem is, maybe someone else will.
    Dordogne and Norfolk