Forum home Garden design

Fern wall

2»

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,873
    That's looking great. Are you finding that sort of size pot to work well or would you have gone bigger given the chance? I've put my living wall on hold this year as I can't get the supplies I needed at the moment. The plants have all come on well though so next year I'll be good to go.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,738
    Stunning @Papi Jo   We tried a fern wall a few years ago, but it was a pitiful effort compared to yours, with only 4 pots.  

I love your "click on the pin" technology on your website, truly impressive.  I wish I was tech-savvy enough and had the time to do this with all of our photos.  My other half is not good with plant names (that green spikey thing being the most common description), so it would help enormously.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,704
    Latest news of my fern wall...

Winter is fast approaching, and it’s time to think about protecting the most fragile plants in the garden. Last winter, we had two periods of frost that did not suit some of the ferns on the fern wall. All these ferns are hardy, but after talking to the nurserywoman at Ecoute-s’il-pleut, it seems that the location of these containers exposing them to the cold and also to the wind caused some losses.

So today I unhooked the 28 containers (!), put them on the ground in a corner of the pergola and covered them with a thick coat of … fern (collected in the nearby forest). Let’s hope they like it.

Do you protect your ferns in winter?

The ferns on the wall today

Taken down and placed on the ground in a sheltered corner of the pergola

Covered under a thick coat of ... ferns!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,579
    Salut @Papi Jo   That was my next question - what happens in winter?  I would also love to get some ferns on a wall that needs rendering (crépie) and although we don't have your constant low temperatures down here, it gets cold and you only need one frost to lose the lot.  Would it be all right to fleece them, do you think?
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,040
    Papi Jo I love the idea of having a fern wall in my pergola but I'd be concerned that I would have to be watering it several times a day in summer. Is that the case? 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,704
    All of the ferns I grow on my fern wall are hardy, but of course some are more hardy than others. If you go to this search page on my garden site and then click on each individual fern thumbnail or name this will take you to that fern's details where the hardiness is mentioned. The problem with ferns in pots on a wall is not so much winter frost as the winds and cold air around the pots, which is why I lost a few ferns last winter. And why I decided to unhook them so they can spend the forthcoming winter on the ground, and with a fern blanket for added protection.
    I water my ferns every day in summer temps over 25° C, every other day in temps between 20°C and 25°C and once a week in Spring and Autumn. Of course I'm never away from home (and the garden) for periods of more than 4 or 5 days. If you plan to be on holiday away from home for more than a week in the summer, then you should consider installing an automatic drip watering system. I toyed with the idea but I don't really need that system.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,579
    Thanks for that @Papi Jo.  Food for thought as we have strong winds here and the Tramontane can be the cruellest.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,040
    Thank you for your advice Papi Jo. 
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 1,066
    Papi Jo said:
    . The problem with ferns in pots on a wall is not so much winter frost as the winds and cold air around the pots
    Thank you for explaining that, Papi Jo.  I now understand why I losst 2 of my potted ferns, living in a frost-free but windy corner!