Forum home Plants

need to identify a plant

This plant appeared in our garden some 10 years ago, and it had regrown each, over the years, but never in the same place it has moved some 3 feet north in the 10 years. It does not set seed and dies back each winter. It is such a lovely plant, but its reached the path and unless it chages direction it will fail to regrow next year. the flower spikes, usually 3 are some 3 feet tall, the flowers are about 25mm wide and a lovely blue. Can anyone identify it?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,601
    At first glance l thought that it is a campanula of some sort, but l really am not sure.  We have some real plant experts on here who can hopefully identify it. It's very pretty, whatever it is. 
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    My first thought is campanula too, but I don't know which one.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,387
    Campanula latifolia?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 555
    edited August 2019
    That's what it looks like to me, too, Dove.  I Googled purple bell-shaped flowers. ;)
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,528
    I'm growing campanula pyrimidalis this year and it looks very similar
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,855
    I think it might be Campanula latiloba.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    I think C.latilobia too.   It should set seed, and if you don’t weed too zealously you might be able to find some youngsters tucked around the place.  The littl’uns do look like flat rosette.