Forum home Problem solving

Where have my gooseberries gone.

mooota1514mooota1514 Posts: 74
edited August 2019 in Problem solving
Hi I've got a 5 year old gooseberry bush and there was a good crop ready to pick.

I noticed the gooseberries have disappeared anyone got any suggestions as I don't think it will be neighbours or anything like that as I live in a secluded well-behaved area.

Could it have been blackbirds or some sort of of other animal.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    Blackbirds 🙄.  The only reason they didn’t take mine is because they preferred the blueberries 🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Blackbirds 🙄.  The only reason they didn’t take mine is because they preferred the blueberries 🤣 
    Think I need to get a net next year. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    I do put little seaside type windmills in the ground around my goosegogs when they’re getting ripe ... the blackbirds seem to keep away. 

Cant do that with the blueberries cos the blackbirds perch in the branches ... the goosegogs are too thorny for them to do that. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,186
    Badgers took most of mine. Not only that, they broke off a load of mature branches just so that they didn’t have to eat while standing on their tippy toes.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850
    Cheeky b***ers!  I don't grow gooseberries, but the blackbirds are telling me what they think of me for pinching their blueberries when I go out to pick them.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore