Forum home Problem solving

Gooseberry Bush

My gooseberry bush seems to be dying. Hardly any fruit this year and all the leaves have fallen off. I have it in a large pot. Could it be potbound? Thoughts please

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Can you tilt the pot and have a look underneath?  If the roots are growing through the drainage hole, it's potbound.  Leaf loss could be caused by insufficient watering.  In any case it would probably do better in the ground.  If that's not an option, could you put it in a bigger container with some fresh compost?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    If moving it to a bigger pot as Josusa suggests, use John Innes No 3 loambased compost ... not ordinary MPC. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    some of mine have been completely stripped of all leaves by something devouring them here
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033
    Gooseberry sawfly probably mrtj. I had it this year for the first time. Foliage has sort of recovered, but no gooseberries really. 
  • Hi all. Many thanks for your help. I think I will have to put the bush in a bigger container as planting it in the garden is not an option.