HELLO FORKERS 😎 August 2019

1858687888991»

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,723
    For those who hate politics, please ignore..... but for those interested in historic parallels, this is well worth a read https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/britain-proroguing-boris-johnson-parliament-suspension-richard-evans-weimar

Meanwhile, back in gardening land, Glyndebourne gardens were glorious .....as were the scones with raspberry jam and clotted cream, Cornish style (soz Hosta) 😋
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,349

Hostafan, then the 'Constitutional Expert' wasn't one. Prorogation happens regularly, nearly every year and has done for well over a century. It's normal for new governments to close down Parliament in order for a Queen's Speech to be held which sets their plans for the next year or so. This year, Parliament was only going to sit for a short time before breaking up for the party conferences, which takes a fortnight (13th Sept-8th Oct. so MPs are only losing up to 5 or 6 days of parliamentary debating time.

This is about breaking the deadlock in the Commons (who can't decide what to do and haven't done so for the last three years) in order to get Brexit done on the lawful date of 31st October. After three years, no amount of extra time is going to make any difference. The majority of those who voted in 2016, voted to leave and that is what must happen. That is true democracy.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,613
    There is a big difference between the usual shut down before the Queens speech, when normal parliamentary committee works continues and prorogation, where the entire parliament closes.
    The government have been truly mendacious about all of this, it has nothing to do with the Queens speech [ admitted by the Foreign Secretary ] and everything to do with BREXIT.
    I am now waiting for referendum on hanging, and we all know what the outcome of that might be.
    Judging by the display of hatred on display in Sheffield today, BREXIT will not be the worst thing that this Government achieves.

Sorry if some find this offensive, but I too am deeply offended by recent events.
    Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,511
    edited August 2019
    I share your concerns @punkdoc ... and you’re right ... mendacity abounds ... parliament is not prorogued for the party conferences ... a debate is held and parliament requests and votes for a recess ... this has not happened ... during a recess the everyday business of parliament (committees etc) continues ... it’s only the debating chamber which is silent. However as most people seem not to know about the huge amount of work that goes on at Westminster ... they only know about the debating chamber ...  it’s been easy for Boris to pull wool over some eyes ... does no one other than me ever listen to Today in Parliament on R4?

Thank you @Chicky ...very interesting ... I shall read it properly when I’m awake 😊
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited August 2019
    But now for lighter things ... it’s September tomorrow ... definitely autumn ... 🍂

Perhaps not lighter after all ... evenings are closing in ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,235

Leaves are falling all over the lawns.

I planted some violas and mowed a lawn today, and made Chocolate Mousse for when friends come to lunch tomorrow. Also made some caramelised onions as a base for tomato tarts for first course. Sea Bass for the main.

We went for a cup of tea with friends in the village where our first cottage was, not far away.

Dordogne and Norfolk
    Sounds like a lovely day @Busy-Lizzie 😊 

September has arrived ... the new thread is here https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1032633/hello-forkers-september-2019/p1?new=1

See you there ....

I’ll ask the Mods to close this one ...

• Just about them Tories... I saw Cameron last week, apart from the shed, he's also got a balloon now to sit in, him and other people with lofty ideas in the Netherlands!!!!± No good will come of this.
    He’s trying to escape after causing total mayhem 🙄 

Falling asleep ... sweet dreams all 🛌