Forum home‚Äļ The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS ūüėé August 2019

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,540
    We are enjoying Poldark too, but I think I did prefer the original version. Haven't seen Sunday's yet, waiting until the families have gone. They aren't watching it, they watch French TV, but my French satellite has gone wrong.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ObelixxObelixx Vend√©e, Western FrancePosts: 20,486
    We have rain!  Not scheduled but welcome and it's the slow, steady almost vertical stuff that might just soak in if it last long enough.  Possum and Pal have gone to Puy du Fou for the day but it looks dry over there, for now.  I might do some cleaning too @Busy-Lizzie but in your case won't they just wreak havoc again?

Our French satellite has been converted to Sky and we get no French TV.

@punkdoc I understand your sorrow and frustration but, as long as other people are willing to fight out their differences and make political points by making hell for others, there isn't much ordinary folk like us can do and we've all seen how helpful it is to meddle without a long term plan and a deep understanding of the issues.   Try and find something good in your life to focus on - Moira, your garden, your friends....

As for WGYTYA, I do get tired of the younger subjects getting aerated about their forebears' past lives when judging them from today's standpoint.   Drives me mad.   Do they know nothing of history? 

Does Naomie Harris really not know that the slaves sold in the USA and WIs were just another market for an existing African trade that goes back to Roman times and continues today?   Doesn't excuse the white people who made fortunes from it but that needs explaining and exploring.   Jack Whitehall's "nasty" ancestor was good at his job but I'd be more interested to find out what happened to the chap who was transported to Oz?  Did he survive?  Did he do well?  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,370
    Hi folks, Haven't watched any of this series of Poldark.  I've got it recorded and it will be watched when Hubby goes away next week. Been ironing this morning, only iron once a year before we go on hols, it's the only time I wear 100% cotton and linen. 
    Cooling down in front of the fan watching an old Vera.
    Thinking of you Pdoc.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,308
    Obelixx said:

As for WGYTYA, I do get tired of the younger subjects getting aerated about their forebears' past lives when judging them from today's standpoint.   Drives me mad.   Do they know nothing of history? 

"So Mrs Obelixx, I'm afraid your ancestor was an SS officers who was  personally responsible for the deaths of hundreds , or maybe thousands, of people."

"Ah well, it was in the past so that's ok then."

Really? 
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vend√©e, Western FrancePosts: 20,486
    edited August 2019
    No, of course not but they are judging people out of context and out of time.  How we treat each other has evolved, partly thanks to those brave enough to protest about inequalities and exploitation so I still think that Jack would have done better to use his wit and energy to research more about what happened next than just pass a few quips.

Alexander Armstrong traced his ancestry back to William the Conqueror.  Is he to be held responsible for wiping out the male line of Anglo Saxon lords and marrying their women to Normans?   Are the Danes and Norwegians to be held responsible for sacking Holy Island and much of coastal northern England, Scotland and Ireland before then? 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,359
    Ezekial 18.20
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Obelixx said:
    No, of course not but they are judging people out of context and out of time.  How we treat each other has evolved, partly thanks to those brave enough to protest about inequalities and exploitation so I still think that Jack would have done better to use his wit and energy to research more about what happened next than just pass a few quips.

Alexander Armstrong traced his ancestry back to William the Conqueror.  Is he to be held responsible for wiping out the male line of Anglo Saxon lords and marrying their women to Normans?   Are the Danes and Norwegians to be held responsible for sacking Holy Island and much of coastal northern England, Scotland and Ireland before then? 

I'm making no judgements about Jack ,his Father , nor their ancestors.
     I just feel it's perfectly natural to hope that history shows that one's ancestors are considered to have been on " the right side" of a situation rather than " the wrong side".

What's wrong with that?
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,953
    I can’t watch any programmes where they burst into tears every whit and trip.  Same with gardening makeovers, cooking, decorating, then the hands wave up and down in front of their faces because that is supposed to stop you crying it seems. I haven’t watched this series of Poldark yet, I like to get them all then binge watch. I read all of the books years ago, and I’ve got the original series in dvd.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,978
    I think it's inevitable that you'd be - at the very least - disappointed if you discovered your ancestor had been on the "wrong side", even though it's in no way your fault.  Perhaps there's a lingering fear that you might have inherited the "wrong side" tendencies, however upright and clean-living you may be...

We have friends in Germany.  Shortly after first meeting them, the man told us his father had been an SS officer.  I think he wanted to give us the opportunity to decide early on that we didn't want the friendship to continue.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    @Lyn, I'd guess the whole series is on iPlayer already
    Devon.