Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS 😎 August 2019

• Pat EPat E Posts: 8,997
    No offence Hosta. It’s just that I’m a one planet for everyone type of person. Get annoyed by trouble makers. 
    S. E. NSW
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,095
    Pat E said:
    No offence Hosta. It’s just that I’m a one planet for everyone type of person. Get annoyed by trouble makers. 
    Ditto entirely
    Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,878
    Congratulations Hosta and Hubby  :)  I haven't started watching this series of WDYTYA yet - I will though. I generally like the writers and journalists best - more interested in the story and less in themselves. I'm sure the programme makers love it when they find a Royal connection, but I find the history of ordinary people that are it's normal course much more interesting, on the whole.

I'm a few episodes behind on Poldark, as well this year. We don't get terrestrial TV and haven't got a satellite dish, so only watch TV on the internet. With all the problems with our internet the last few weeks, I'm getting a bit behind on the few programmes I do watch.

BT are coming AGAIN today. That'll be visit number 6, unless you count the chap from the 'UG' team who came out on Saturday to do something up a pole up the line somewhere, in which case it's #7. They sent a chap from the 'special' team last week because it's a particularly tricky case. I had a chat with him when he was here. He's been doing the job for 3 weeks, having had 8 weeks training. Before that, he ran a shoe shop. Does make you wonder what qualifications the 'not special' ones have. At least this one was keen though, he did actually find a problem, even if he couldn't fix it.

@punkdoc Syria seems to have been put on everyone's 'Too Difficult' pile. As the man said, there is no military 'solution' that doesn't always end up as something worse, and this world seems to have no patience for solutions that take time and care and intelligence. If you can't bomb your way out of it, then it's not solvable, it seems. I hope I'm wrong and that there is work going on quietly somewhere.

“This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,768

Morning all.

Happy anniversary to the Hostas.

We have peace! The 3 families staying here have all gone out for the day. We will be emptying and filling the dishwasher, tidying up, sweeping and hoovering. The place looks bombstruck.

Dordogne and Norfolk
    We've given up on Poldark. Got fed up with the London stuff and the endless feud with the other guy.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,249
    @raisingirl - perhaps you would be better with two tins and a piece of string..... 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Hostafan1 said:
    We've given up on Poldark. Got fed up with the London stuff and the endless feud with the other guy.
    This series isn't based on a Winston Graham book, I don't think. It all moves on after Elizabeth's death, in the books. But the 10 year time jump gave the programme makers  a problem, it seems - they didn't want to 'age' Aidan Turner, presumably. So perhaps it just goes to show that successful authors do have a skill that others can't emulate, even using all the same constituent parts.
    ― Terry Pratchett
    @Fairygirl I'm training pigeons
    ― Terry Pratchett
    @raisingirl I have to say, I've heard nobody talking about the new series, which speaks volumes. 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,355
    Apparently there’s loads of complaints that there’s no raunchy sex scenes ( so far) 🙄 
    I must say we’re quite enjoying it 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh