Forum home Problem solving

Plant/weed just keeps coming back

My friend has tried getting rid of this plant as it is very invasive. Even the strongest weed killer kills the plant above ground but the root stays sound and soon starts growing back. He has pulled out bits of root and it is stretchy. 
How does he get rid of this for good?? 

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    edited July 2019
    It looks suspiciously like tree of heaven. There's a thread on here which discusses how to get rid of it.
  • Nettie DNettie D Posts: 46
    Thank you Joy. 
    Found that and will share with my friend 
    :)
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I think what you have there is staghorn sumac, Rhus typhina. It's a small decorative tree, but almost impossible to get rid of.  If you cut down the tree, this is how it responds, the roots throw up new plants left right and centre, and the roots are humungous.  As far as I know, the only thing that works is to dig out every bit of root.  Sorry!
    Thank you :)

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    And the other invasive pinnate leaved plant is sorbaria sorbifolia.... from the photo it’s hard to tell, but if you peek into you neighbour’s gardens you might find the mother plant.   But whichever one it is they are tough to get rid of!
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 202
    IMO Josusa 47  is correct.

What you need to do is.  Select and gently lift each plant.  Now carefully trace it's root systum to it's end.  Now cut it and dispose of it.  Do this with all unwanted growths.
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 553
    edited August 2019
    Looks like some type of Rhus (Sumac) to me, too.  You'd have to wait until it forms seed cones (I think May-June in Texas, but though probably later where you are) to know which type you're dealing with, but I think they are all invasive in the manner Josusa47 described above.  Our nearest neighbor by our country getaway cabin farther south has a few along the back of his property.  I saw them with cones full blown in June.  Their beautiful seed cones were visible from the car as we drove onto our property a month ago.  Luckily, this is neither on or anywhere near our lawn where it would cause me worry.  I will keep an eye out however.  What I saw was the Staghorn variety with red seed cones that sit point-up on the branches.  The Flameleaf variety has the red seed cones more at the ends of the branches, sort of in line with the branch itself.  I just recently learned of the existence of Tree of Heaven with its yellow flowers.  I've never seen one of those other than a photo someone posted on my TX gardening forum last month.  
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
  • The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481
    Yes, Stags Horn Sumac. Probably suckers from a parent plant. Gorgeous autumnal leaf colours. Worth keeping for its end of season display.
  • The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481
    Mine...last autumn

Thank you