Hollyhock height

Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 488
Is it typical for these to get really tall? I'd read 8ft as being on the upper end of the scale but this is way past that-

Don't pay too much attention to the gormless looking person in the photo but he's 6ft tall.

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 792
    I've seen some very tall ones but I didn't measure them. It looks healthy anyway. I stopped growing them because of rust. 
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 488
    Is it when they're a couple of years old they're more susceptible?

Despite my fuchsia rust issues the hollyhock looks fine.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,676
    I’ve noticed that hollyhocks growing in cracks between paving and a wall seem to suffer much less from rust than those in beds and borders.

I can only presume that the fallen  rust spores on the paving are washed away by the winter rains whereas those that fall on soil just linger there ready to reinfect the plants in the spring. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745
    You could have a point there dove, or could it be that self seeded ones are stronger. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,634
    Hollyhocks do grow to a good height - 6 or 7 foot is not unusual but I wonder if the OP's plants are being drawn further up with the dense hedge behind.  IME they really enjoy surrounding sun/light.
    Hollyhocks do grow to a good height - 6 or 7 foot is not unusual but I wonder if the OP's plants are being drawn further up with the dense hedge behind.  IME they really enjoy surrounding sun/light.
    To be fair that area is technically full sun, perhaps barely now, as the summer gets on, but it's had plenty of sun.
    My apologies - it wasn't evident from the photo.
    When I said "surrounding" sun/light" that is exactly what I meant - difficult to estimate  from the photo the distance from the plant to the hedge  but it appears to block off light from 1 quarter.
    Not to worry tho so long as it eventually flowers  :D
    Buds have finally started opening but they've taken their time. 

Is it earlier in July you'd expect them to appear usually?
    They have been in full flower here ( coastal Somerset ) for about 3 weeks or so.

• NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    The first one is what I consider to be the better one's as the are the same thickness all the way down the cain. 10 per pack. https://www.diy.com/departments/verve-canes-set-of-10/3663602423461_BQ.prd?rrec=truehttps: sorry can't get the link to work so you'll have to copy and paist.

This one is from the Range SKU 122490 6 pack and gets thinner from top to bottom.

Hope this is of some help.