Forum home Problem solving

Clematis wilt or just devastation from yesterday's rain. It was fine on Monday.

suzypeachsuzypeach SomersetPosts: 2

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,207
    Just bashed and battered I think.  Try removing the spent flower heads to encourage it to produce more buds.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230
    I agree with Obelixx. If I understand correctly, clematis wilt causes the leaves to turn black. I've thought on a few occasions that my clematis had it but it just turned out to be old leaves I think. One imparticular looked like it had it (it perhaps actually did as it seemed to be spreading rapidly downwards) so I hard pruned it right back to well below the black bits, I thought I'd killed it as it didn't reappear (from under a phormium in a very deep container so I couldn't see what was going on at the base of it) the next year but this year it's back :)) I don't think you need to worry about yours, the leaves look fine. It looks like you had a lovely abundance of flowers on it before the rain came.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,155
    Clematis wilt starts at the bottom of the plant and goes up, causing blackening.
    If the damage is at the top, or ends of stems, the damage is usually a break somewhere lower down - often from slugs or similar, or from weather, or birds sitting on them etc. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• suzypeachsuzypeach SomersetPosts: 2
    Thanks all. The stems and leaves all look healthy so I have just cut off the flower heads. Fingers crossed it will rebloom
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,155
    It'll be fine  - they enjoy a good bit of moisture  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....