Forum home Problem solving

Can you move a greenhouse vent window?

Hi All,

I want to move a central greenhouse roof vent window to the other side of the roof to put it on the leeward side and add an autovent to it. Is this possible? Or are the windows only possible in the central panels? In the pic, I want to move yellow window to red area (though would prob go with area furthest away from door for added airflow).

thanks for any help

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 546
    Hello if the bottom bar that holds the catches moves then yes I am thinking this on memory I will look at my glass houses tomorrow 
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    We have just put a GH up and you slide it along the top so I can't see why you can't slide it back towards the door. You will need to hold the window and frame fully open to do it.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057

Rob45, Is that a Hall Popular if so you can download the full instruction which will include how to fit the window vents. Just reverse the instructions but be careful when you remove the fitted glass which I would do first so you don't need to move the window right off. If it's not a Halls and you know the brand just type in the and instructions for and what the size is. I typed in Halls Popular 6 x 12 ft assembly instructions. See if it helps you.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,426
    If the cross member at the bottom of the window is screw fitted then you may be able to move it.  If it's pop rivetted it would need to be drilled out and reattached to the other side.  If it is pop rivetted I wouldn't try to move it.
    Your alternative would be to fit low level louvre vents on the left (as viewed) and just have one roof vent operated automatically.  That will give better airflow than 2 roof vents.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,067
    Also, some makes don't let you have a roof vent right next to either end gable as there is nowhere to fix the gable-end of the cross member, or the gable extrusion itself prevents the window from closing properly.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.