Forum home Plants

Weeds or plants

i am clearing a bed under two oak trees to the front of our new house. I am new to gardening! Mostly I can tell what are weeds, but as some have clearly been allowed to ‘establish’ they can look more ‘plant like’. I have attached a selection of photos of the bed in question. I have started clearing it from the right. 

There are several with larger dark leaves which I initially though might be hostas, but when googling I can’t find any with spotted leaves. Then there is one with large glossy dark leaves which I don’t know if it’s a weed. Then there are some in amongst what I know to be weeds with much smaller leaves that are two toned. 

Can anyone help help so I don’t take out too much which should be left please?

Also, between the two oaks, a cobnut tree seems to have self seeded (there is a full size one about 4 metres away in the next bed). It is about 3 foot tall or so and quite large Andy bushy. I assume I’m better off getting rid of it as it’s ‘fighting’ with the oak trees?

Thanks so much for helping a newbie!
Pia

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,661
    1. Lamium maculatum...can get invasive.
    Several other weeds in amongst it.

2. Pulmonaria...common name Lungwort

https://www.google.com/search?q=pulmonaria&client=firefox-b-d&channel=crow&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ0seolt_jAhWMZMAKHbh2BGIQ_AUIESgB&biw=1920&bih=944
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,531
    Up to you on the hazel tree. They transplant pretty well as long as you do it while they're dormant in the winter. It will grow where it is and you can keep coppicing it for bean poles if you wanted though.
    Sorry phone went before 1st answer completed....Had another look.
    4.   Looks as if there is a Helleborus ...behind the Pulmonaria.

https://www.google.com/search?q=helleborus&client=firefox-b-d&channel=crow&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjr_O6Em9_jAhVJY8AKHSMGDS8Q_AUIESgB&biw=1920&bih=944

Good luck with your new home and garden.
    Be careful and be patient.
    Underneath those weeds may be planted spring bulbs...snowdrops, crocus.
    Wait until spring to see what else appears before making drastic changes.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Thanks so much. This is super helpful! 

I am trying to just clear mess and weeds exactly because I don’t know what will be there in future. We moved in at the end of June so missed all spring blooms. 

I will I’ll leave the Helleborus and pulmonaria, and will just selectively cut the cobnut. I don’t have anywhere to move it to just now, and I love the idea of using it for bean poles. Had no idea they were good for that. Oh it’s so hard to be a complete beginner! 
    Oh it’s so hard to be a complete beginner! 
    You must remember we were all like that when we started.
    You will find everyone on these forums very friendly and helpful.
    With years of experience and knowledge to pass on.
    Just ask...someone is sure to know.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Oh it’s so hard to be a complete beginner! 
    You must remember we were all like that when we started.
    You will find everyone on these forums very friendly and helpful.
    With years of experience and knowledge to pass on.
    Just ask...someone is sure to know.
    Thanks, that’s really encouraging! 
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,494
    You can forget about the nuts if you've got squirrels😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3 said:
    You can forget about the nuts if you've got squirrels😕
    Weirdly, I haven’t seen a single squirrel since we moved in. Where we lived before (only 5 miles away) we had zillions of them, but in the last month I haven’t even seen one!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,451
    If you’ve got squirrels in the area they’ll appear just before the nuts and acorns are ripe 😂 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 15,494
    Worth the move then😉 @pia.reynolds
    In London. Keen but lazy.