Forum home Problem solving

Turf die back

julesy1983julesy1983 Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Problem solving
We put down this turf about 2 months ago. Watered it and it seemed to doing really well. Unfortunately the back seems to be dying off. We fed it but unfortunately it hasn't helped. Any tips on what I can do? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,700
    edited July 2019
    Hi and welcome @julesy1983 😊 

Its not usually recommended to feed a new lawn as most feeds encourage top growth at the expense of root development which is not what you want in the early stage. 

Is that part of the lawn particularly shady ... if so that might be a problem for the type of grass you have there. 

For the moment I would be patient ... mow once a week with the mower set at medium height, as mowing regularly encourages the development of side shoots (called ‘tillering’) which is needed for a thick lawn. 

@glasgowdan has a lot of experience with lawns ... hopefully he’ll see this and have some advice. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Would you recommend spiking it? It seems very compact. 
    I wouldn’t spike a new lawn ... it could dislodge the roots and prevent the turned from knitting into the soil beneath. 

Try not to walk on that part of the lawn. It’s still very new. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,061
    If it's very compacted, it may be that the turf hasn't been in good enough contact with the soil below. Was the area well prepped and lightly raked before it was laid?

I'd agree with Dove though - give it a chance. It does look like that area is quite shady, and could therefore be quite dry, so you may find grass doesn't thrive terribly well.
    See how it does in another month or two, but you may have to reseed with a mix more suitable for shade if that's the case. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

.....prevent the turned ....,
    🙄 predictive text ... turf not turned 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,075
    Not easy to tell from the cropped picture but I'm thinking that looks a shady area? Big tree in the neighbouring garden and darker look to the image on the right. If that's the case then it's probably your answer.