Raised flower bed help

Hi all,

This summer I’m looking to redo my front garden - I'm happy with knowing how to do underlay and adding new stone but looking for some ideas to address our raised flower bed. I'm looking to replace and fix some new log edging roll to the bed, as the current one has started to rot. However, I'm guessing that all the soil behind it will crumble down once I take the old edging away? Its started to do this as one of the logs has rotted away so I went to pull it out and the turf behind it started to crumble downwards. Any help would be appreciated. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949
    Two ways to do it. Build the new edging in front of the old edging and then pull the old edging out. You will have to infill the 'hole' with soil. Or dig out a spadeswidth of the bed behind the old edging thereby giving yourself a gully, then take the old stuff out, put the new roll in, and then backfill your gully. Perhaps now is the time to think of something a bit more substantial to edge your raised bed?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    I'm waiting for the hedgehogs to move then I want to do a raised bed in the corner and plant a tree. We are getting rid of the rockery so will use the rocks to form the edge of the bed. Just wondered if you have any rocks you could use for the edge and grow trailing plants over the edge to soften it. Pathing stones sunk half way up would never need replacing and again you could hide them with trailing plants over.
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 288
    If you're not worried about space it would be perfectly OK to build a stone or brick wall in front of the present wooden wall. The logs will decay naturally and even provide good nutrition for the plants that are there, so I wouldn't remove them. Good luck.