Forum home Problem solving

Blue Spruce looking Pink

Hi. I have what I believe is a Picea Pugens Hoopsii. I've had it for about five years and it's around two metres tall. Recently the interior needles have turned a pinkish colour and I'm struggling to identify if this is disease or not. Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,329
    Those are the dead bits, I'm afraid. 
    Most coniferous plants are quite brown in the middle - the new growth comes at the ends of branches as they grow, but they can also die right back, especially if they've had  a long period of drought.
    If the browning extends all along the branches, they won't recover. Have you got a pic of the whole shrub, and is the browning only on that section?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• RomaRoma Posts: 10
    Thanks. I wondered if it might just be that the light isn't getting to the inner parts. Here are photos if the tree taken just now. Please excuse my path. I'm trying to figure out what to do to make it look like a path as opposed to a breeding ground for weeds.

It is on the other side as well, can't seem to attach more than one photo at a time.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,952
    edited July 2019
    Fairygirl is 100% correct ; they're simply last years needles ready to fall .
    P . pungens 'Hoopsii' is nice when very young , but is difficult to make a shapely specimen.
    In my opinion there are three better forms of Blue Spruce ; P . pungens 'Oldenburg' ; 'Omega' and 'Koster' ; these stay a more symetrical shape than 'Hoopsii' .

Thank you. This is really reassuring.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,329
    Sorry - I forgot to come back to this thread @Roma.

It's all fine, and growing as it should  - glad that Paul has reassured you  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you