Forum home Problem solving

Snake plant/sansevieria trifasciata - brown patch on leaf

Bill_and_BenBill_and_Ben Histon, near Cambridge, UKPosts: 148
My son has a snake plant/sansevieria trifasciata which has a recently developed a brown patch on a leaf. Anyone know why this might be and what he should do? 
My location: Histon, near Cambridge, UK

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,248
    When I had it happen to mine in the past it was linked to over watering. I'd recommend cutting the leaf and making sure it is properly dry before the next watering and that the pot is not standing on water. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,881
    Possibly over watering ... but I think it’s more likely to be some rot due to an incident causing physical damage.

Carefully remove the individual leaf at about an inch from the base using a sharp blade/scalpel. 

Otherwise the plant looks quite healthy. Water no more than once a week in summer. No more than once a month in winter. Keep in bright light but not scorching sunlight. Don’t allow to stand in water 

Hope that help 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Bill_and_BenBill_and_Ben Histon, near Cambridge, UKPosts: 148
    Many thanks to you both for the above advice. I’ll pass this on to my son. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,525
    It could just be an old leaf though and the plant is getting rid of it. When was it last repotted? It's a big plant for that pot. If it was me I'd find another plastic pot that fits that outer pot snugly and repot it into that. A layer of gravel or pebbles in the bottom of the outer pot will also help keep the roots from sitting in water if he does accidently over water it.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Bill_and_BenBill_and_Ben Histon, near Cambridge, UKPosts: 148
    Thank you wild edges - all good advice.