Today's harvest

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,891
    They are sooooo much better than shop bought @NannaBoo. Mine are in full swing picked 85 to date.😁
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
    It’s been a busy week so the garden has been neglected. Just been out with the kids to do some picking. I’d better get cooking over the weekend.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 801
     OK,here's my harvest for today, rescued from my storm-ravaged garden. The squashes are my entire crop so far from four plants, but seem ready now. Four cucumbers are a bit much to deal with, so a wander around the neighbourhood to distribute them is the plan for the afternoon. Beans are the last of the crop, carrots the runts that have failed to make the grade for the local show next week. Oh and I forgot to include a pile of windfall apples! 
    The squash look good. Are they red kuri? I’m planning to try those next year. Do they climb well?
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 801
    Yes they are Uchiki Kuri, first time I've tried them. I am attempting to trail them up an old airing rack but have had to help them a bit. I gave some spare seeds to a friend and we've both found that the plants seem reluctant to produce more than one fruit - after that the leaves and shoots seem to go yellow and blotchy. Perhaps it's the weather. Monty Don was planting some of these and erecting a huge scaffolding to support them, but it would have been wasted on mine. I have had better results from a variety called Hooligan, which are also very pretty squashes. Still, I'm looking forward to eating these three.
    You want to look on the recipe sharing thread @Green Magpie I put a lovely recipe for cucumber soup on there. It works really well and uses cucumbers like courgettes in the soup, it's also a good way to use up odd bits of veg ,it only needs chicken stock.

Both you and @Womble54 have a nice selection to work with. Mine have had to wait as only just back from three days away , but did send cucumbers, toms,  and eggs down to the daughter in london.😁
    @Green Magpie I’ll have a look for some seeds and give those a try. I’ve got some arches that I can grow then up. I’ve got a small pumpkin plant called amazonka. It had 3 pumpkins on there, but I think it’s got a fungal infection, one of the pumpkins has rotted, so I picked the other two. Hopefully they’ll ripen up off the plant.

@purplerallim
    I’d love to have chickens, but sadly not enough space, and I think the dog would terrorise them. Think we need to move out of London.
    Oh they are not my chickens ( not allowed livestock here) @Womble54 but the guy who gives me mine heard hubby was off to see her, next thing there are a dozen eggs for her.😁 I do make sure he has some of my cucumbers and lime curd. Bless him. 

But you grow things so well in London  @Womble54, the only reason for you to move is like me, for a bigger garden.
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 340
    These went in a nice stir fry last night, I think our french beans are about done now too. Need to make sure I have enough seedlings for their pot for when they come down!