Forum home Plants

Do Geums Re-flower better with age?

13»

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    Nollie said:
    Don’t blame your OH floralies, they do look a bit weedy!
    I still don't know how to tell apart the nice geums and the wild geum (urbanum). Last year, I removed one or two of them and left only one, almost sure it was a weed and it flowered beautifully this year. I also have a small self seeded one (this spring seedling) and the only reason why it survived to flowering is that I missed it when weeding that area.
    Anyway, I don't like the deadheading. I don't want any plants that need deadheading to look good, I am willing to cut something down once per year but not deadhead hundreds of small flowers one by one.
  • Another tall Geum is Lady Stratheden, which has vivid yellow flowers.  That is what I like about the Geums that I have - the vivid colours apart from Aviens which is neither one thing or the other but the bees love them and that is the main reason why I grow them.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,618
    I asked the question a while ago and was advised to cut the stalk off rather than the individual flowers. It's worked fine and new stems with flowers grew fine They were  TT and yellow geum horribilis (don't know real name) and a red one that isn't Mrs B. However, I understand that there are two types of geum and it might not be appropriate for the other kind. I don't know
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Is your "horribillis" yellow geum the one I showed above @B3?  Lady Stratheden? I don't know of another kind of Geum, just this one that has many varieties and colours but basically all have the same leaf pattern. 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    @B3 Problem is that flowers on one stalk are often spaced weeks apart. The first one flowering are seedheads long before the last ones flower. My geum started flowering in late May and finished in mid-July, on the same stalks, I'd been removing individual flowers and cut the stalks back in mid-July. So far, no signs of reflowering.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,340
    That’s the yellow one I have, GD. The bees and butterflies seem to avoid it! I obviously offer a more discerning dining experience elsewhere - the scrum over the various Agastache, salvia, heleniums, echinacea is a sight be behold.

That was what I did, edhelka, deadheaded individual flowers to start with as there were more forming on the same stem then chopped them down to the ground. Too fiddly for words!

BTW - why do I feel Heleniums has to be plural? Somehow Helenium in a list looks wrong 😕 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,618
    I just waited until all the blossom was dead and cut it off @edhelka
    I'm sure it's a different one or the same one in the wrong place. There is pink in the vicinity ;)  @Guernsey Donkey2
    Here's TT on second flush - well a bit of it anyway

In London. Keen but lazy.