Do Geums Re-flower better with age?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,574
First time growing them this year. Planted in good, rich soil, kept moist, in sun in the afternoon but leaves shades by other plants - so I think I have done everything right...

Lady Statheden flowered ok and Fire Storm a bit less. I deadheaded individual flowers at first then cut the stems back to the ground in June when they seemed to have finished. Lady S has thrown out a few new flowering stems but not a peep from Fire Storm. 

Is this normal for new geums? I’m wondering if they flower better in subsequent years or whether it’s just that don’t like my heat much...

How have your geums done in the heatwave? 

• AstroAstro Posts: 101
    It is my first year of growing geums(Lady S) and they were and have been pretty unremarkable to be honest. In the North of England we haven't had that much hot weather, so it isn't excessive heat or shortage of water in my case. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,574
    @Astro, that’s interesting, maybe they are a bit fussy and do take a while to get going?

There is a saying that perennials sleep in the first year, creep in the second and leap in the third. All my other newly planted perennials still give me a really decent showing of flowers in the first year tho...
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,727
    I've gone off geums. They are sulking here, some are 1st year, some are last year's. All are the orange ones, perhaps they don't like my clay alkaline soil?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,480
    I have tried them for the last few years and have been very disappointed. Others here have said here that they are best off straggling through other plants, so I’ve moved mine but don’t think I will bother much with them. 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949
    I have 3 Totally Tangerine. No flowers after first flush. In their second year. Another one, Mai Tai I think in another part of the garden. Ditto. Free draining neutral soil in sun. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,483
    I think my soil is too dry for them. I have G. rivale in a damp bed and it's much happier than my other two (still only one flush of flowers though). Mrs Bradshaw is struggling, and Mei Tei almost died with this drought (I had watered, but obviously not enough). I dug it up and split it and put the potted bits in shade and they're reviving. Not sure where I'll put them once they're big enough to go out.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 947
    The only ones  that repeat flower in my garden are Geum Totally Tangerine and Borisii
    They only repeat flower after after pruning down to the base and a tomato feed every 2 weeks after pruning .Both varieties is full sun with planted in good fertile soil. Given up on the red flowered varieties as they seem too temperamental for some reason and flowering season too short 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,574
    Wow, thanks for all your replies, glad to know it’s not just me then! Given how presenters always rave about them and many sites say they will flower throughout the summer and into September, I feel robbed  :/

I did the pruning down to the base, there is lots of nutrients in the new, well-improved bed, but will try a high potash feed Steve and see if that does anything. If not, they are going to be consigned to the compost heap.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,480
    I am watering lots the red ones I moved. If they don’t come out to play I will take them out. Not keen on tangerine. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 536
    I grew some from seed but they made bushy plants which never flowered so never bothered after that.