Lily ID

LucidLucid Posts: 320
Hi everyone,

We've got a seemingly self seeded lily which has managed to grow up from under the fenceline, despite our neighbours not having any lilies on the other side. I was just curious if anyone knew what type it is? In the first photo it's on the right side of the photo:

It didn't flower for the first couple of years when we spotted the leaves there, so we attempted to dig out what we could, but being under the fenceline it's impossible to remove. Last year we had a couple of flowers from it so decided to leave it alone. This year there have been many more flowers, although each one is quite short lived so I'm wondering if it's a type of daylily. I like to keep a record of all of the plants in the garden so if anybody happens to recognise the type and name it'd be much appreciated.

Lucid :)

• steveTusteveTu Posts: 234
    Morning!
    Not sure if this helps, but I had something similar pop up this year. See this thread.

Yours looks remarkably similar to what suddenly appeared in my garden - they're good aren't they?

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • It looks like the double form of Hemerocallis fulva, known as 'Kwanso'.

Unfortunately H. fulva can be very invasive, unlike its domesticated relatives, so I would keep an eye on it and consider planting one (or more) of the 80,000+ hybrids in its place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemerocallis_fulva
  • LucidLucid Posts: 320
    Thanks for getting back to me @steveTu and @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool. The colouring definitely matches up with Kwanso but I don't think it's a double variety. The photos I've found of Kwanso have extra petals to mine. From @steveTu's thread I think I can definitely assume daylily. I might just have to accept I won't know the exact variety as it seems there's so many.

Lucid :)