Blanket weed

Any advise on how to get rid of blanket weed. The pond at my clients house I'd covered, I need something that will get rid but not kill the lillies. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,760
    edited 30 July
    For blanketweed I've used Cloverleaf Blanket Answer for many years in my koi pond.
    There are no chemicals involved and it's had no effect on my huge waterlilly that covers most of the pond. I use one or 2 doses per season.
    It's NOT suitable for use in wildlife ponds, but fine for fishponds and plants.
    The water looks like milk for a couple of days then it all begins to clear.
    If there's a lot of blanketweed, you should consider some sort of 'sludge buster' as the dead blanketweed will rot down and may affect the water quality.

PS - if it is a wildlife pond you could try Blagdon Barley Straw extract - I use it alongside Blagdon Sludge Buster in my wildlife pond and it does keep it mostly clear of algae/blaketweed
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 26,053
    One method you can use is a spring tine rake which you put into the pond and twirl. The blanket weed can be removed in large clumps. There are proprietary treatments that will not damage the lilies. A Google search will help you to find them.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Anyone used hydra quartz before? 
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,674
    edited 30 July
    I also use Cloverleaf Blanket Answer in my pond and it very works well.
    Pete.8 Why is it unsuitable for wildlife ponds?I have used it and seems to have no ill effects?
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,760
    I also use Cloverleaf Blanket Answer in my pond and it very works well.
    Pete.8 Why is it unsuitable for wildlife ponds?I have used it and seems to have no ill effects?
    Glad you asked the question mp.
    It used to say on the pack 'not suitable for wildlife ponds' but it doesn't anymore. I've been using it for so many years that that bit of information stuck in my head.
    I gave them a call just now and they confirm that it is fine to use it a wildlife pond and won't harm anything.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,674
    That's good to know!!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • gr.letleygr.letley Posts: 24
    Pond balance, comes as a powder and is wonderful. I used it in my Koi pond and now in my lily only pond.
    It helps with clarity of water, is safe and I even use it in my wild life pond. Once used you won't want anything else.