Cosmos forest

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 319

Morning. I have a beautiful lush forest of cosmos..... but no flowers. Any idea how to encourage them to flower?

thanks for your help.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,324
    patience
    Devon.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 319
    Just as well that I’ve got that then. I just seem to see them in flower everywhere else....
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,946
    This seems to be a problem with cosmos -  every year there are comments about loads of lush foliage but no flowers. Could be too much nitrogen perhaps? 
  • TooeyTooey Posts: 91
    The flowers eventually turn up but I've had cosmos plants about 6ft tall before they flowered. They looked like Christmas trees!  :open_mouth:
    Here they are. Tall and bushy with a couple of stray zinnia poking through.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,533
    I think that the general consensus a couple of years ago was that they flower quicker if you keep them hungry. Poorish soil seems to encourage flowers. It's worked for me this year anyway
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    That could be a good point. This was a new planter so I filled it with best compost, my other planters were a mix of old and new which could explain why I have flowers elsewhere.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,734
    Definitely too much feed, or over rich soil.  I doubt you will get much from them, all energy into green.
    Annuals are best left hungry to trigger them into flowering and setting seeds. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hi I have 4 cosmos I’m this row, 1 has not much foliage and lots of flowers almost gone over, and the others are all lush foliage and no flowers. I recently pinched the tops out with no change. Any ideas please??? 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 937
    My cosmos have burst into flower over the past couple of weeks, but the osteospermum are just vegetation. Same bed, some soil conditions. Weird.