Forum home Problem solving

Problem with Cherry Tree.

On my cherry blossom tree. at the base there are what appears to be what look like clinkers(bits that you can break away), have you any suggestions to what this might be.u


  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Can you post a photo?
  • pete12743pete12743 Posts: 4

  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,503
    That doesn't look at all good Pete. How deep is the fissure?  As it's close to a footpath, you may need to take advice from a tree specialist in case it's not safe.
  • pete12743pete12743 Posts: 4
    No, it's in our garden, thanks for your reply.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    The 'clinker' like stuff looks like a hardened form of the resin which cherry trees produce whenever they are damaged or infected.  It's the cherry-tree equivalent to a scab forming following a skin cut on one of us.  In this case the sunken area of bark makes me suspect a serious case of canker from which the tree is unlikely to recover.  However, it may still live on like this for many years but if it is a large tree it would be wise to get a tree surgeon to inpect it in case the heartwood has been weakened by a subsequent fungal infection, which is not unusual.  Cherry trees are relatively short-lived and often last only about 25 years, so it may be on its way out anyway.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pete12743pete12743 Posts: 4
    Thank you for your help.
Sign In or Register to comment.