Forum home Plants

Plant id please?

JudyNJudyN Posts: 119

It's at the back of a deep border, behind a hydrangea, which is my excuse for the lack of weeding. Maybe just an oak seedling, but it doesn't look quite right to me.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 35,832
    Hello JudyN. Definitely an oak seedling.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • JudyNJudyN Posts: 119
    Thanks Ladybird. We get loads of oak seedlings further down the garden but this doesn't look quite the same. I'll have to compare later - it might just be it's a bit bigger than they usually are when I find them.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 35,832
    Remember that there are several different types of oak too. This could be a present from a squirrel or a jay
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    That's true - we have huge oaks lining the end of the garden, but it might not be one of their babies.
    Out of interest, these are leaves off 'our' trees - they have such different margins, as well as a difference in colour and also, I think, growth habit (I couldn't find any seedlings but I don't think they're usually so erect). I might have to do a bit of research to see if I can id the different species...

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    edited July 2019
    The one without a petiole or stalk is a sessile oak. I would suspect that your seedling is in its second year.