Best things about using raised garden beds

My mom loves gardening so much, and just last week, she told me she saw these raised beds being a trend online. She then asked me to help her contact this provider to buy some raised bed kits UK. But I just want to know, what makes these raised garden beds such a great option?

• oooftoooft Posts: 163
    If they are high they can stop you needing to bend down to work them. You can fill them with soil of a particular pH if you want to grow plants that aren't suitable for your garden soil. They can save you having to dig if you want to grow vegetables, they can provide structure in your garden. There's loads of reasons for having them and loads of designs
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,342
    I built three raised beds for my veg crops on a concrete surface which previous owners had put down.  My non-gardening neighbours allow bindweed to grow unchecked.  My raised beds are the only part of the garden from which I'm not constantly pulling bindweed.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,409
    I built 6 raised vegetable beds because my soil was thin and stony on a rocky base, so it was the only way I could get enough planting depth and improve the soil enough to plant things. They do look attractive and keep things neat and tidy.

The only drawback for me is that because the roots of plants are higher than the ground, and the wooden surrounds of the beds can't provide the same insulation as the soil in the ground, I find I have to water much more than areas where it is possible to plant directly. 

Some of the ready-made kits can be a bit flimsy and work out quite expensive including shipping costs, especially if you are importing them from another country. You can also make them from railway sleepers or sturdy planks, supported by corner posts knocked into the ground, bricks, blocks or any material you fancy, to bespoke sizes to fit the available space and and at a working height that suits your mom.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,343
    Depends how exactly you define raised beds but they an definitely be a boon for small concrete spaces, those of us who find bending too far painful, those in wheelchairs, etc.

I have recently constructed 4 raised beds using treated timber packs sold for Compost Bins.  On grass, I laid weed membrane for the base, pond liner material I had spare for the 4 sides and filled with top soil, MPC and home compost.

They have done well this first season providing me with plenty of salads, Dwarf Beans, Parsley, Radish, etc.

Next year, I plan to make the beds deeper using the same materials - easy enough to do once you have the base framework.