Forum home Problem solving

Baby rowen tree

rsawhney82rsawhney82 Milton keynes Posts: 7
Hi I planted a baby rowen tree last year in memory of my mum .after 7 months it don't look like it has grown at all,I water it etc but nothing advice please 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    Can you give a bit more info please. When you say baby rowan, what size is it and was it grown from seed, transplanted bare-root or bought in a pot? Do the leaves look healthy? Its common for trees to 'sulk' a bit after being transplanted if their root has been disturbed or if they've been allowed to get root bound in a pot. It can be that they're concentrating on making roots rather than waste energy making top growth that the root can't support.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • rsawhney82rsawhney82 Milton keynes Posts: 7
    Hi there I purchased the tree ready to plant .the picture I just took now is my profile picture .and what it looks like now 
    Ready to plant as in it came in a pot? I can't see much from the picture sorry. Does it have leaves at all?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    I bought a little Rowan  tree from Morrison, only about 12” tall,  £1,99 !
    I planted it in the ground and it took ages to make a start, it did suddenly take off though and is now about 7’ tall.
    I think they probably thrive on neglect, they grow wild on the Moor, little or no soil, between rock walls, no one feeds them. 
    Just plant it out and wait, it will need watering often until it’s established. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Ok thanks lynn
    It came from trees to your door the bulb was wrapped ready to plant
    Lyn said:
    I think they probably thrive on neglect, they grow wild on the Moor, little or no soil, between rock walls, no one feeds them.
    I found the one that I've planted in my front garden growing out of the top of a rotted gatepost in about an inch of soil. It's about two metres tall now.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    It came from trees to your door the bulb was wrapped ready to plant
    Are you sure it’s a Rowan, they don’t grow from bulbs? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Sorry i mean roots were wrapped 
    New picture ive just taken