Is a 4' x 4' greenhouse worthwhile?

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,690
I'm struggling for space in my 6'x8' greenhouse and I've got the added problem that it gets no sun during the winter anymore thanks to the neighbours' new summer house. I've got one small space (southish facing with full sun most of the day) where I could fit another greenhouse but it would have to be a 4x4 or at most a 4x6 but that's pushing it. Sadly I've got a spare 6x8 but nowhere to put it in this garden. :/ 

A 4x4 should be fine for overwintering plants or even a bit of late/early season growing but apart from the limited space is it just going to heat up and cool down too rapidly to be useful in the summer? I can use shading but if it's no good for tomatoes for similar then it's probably just going to be in the way and I could just build a cold frame instead and save myself some money. It will be sat on raised decking that is well ventilated below so it should be easier to keep cool than one that's sat onto the ground. The growing season is short up here and our night time temperatures ar lower than average so anything that prolongs growing should be a bonus...

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,709
    You can never have enough GH space! 
    Ive got about 5 or 6 of those blowaway plastic ones for overwintering, very narrow and firmly fixed, they’ve been there for quite a few years, very handy when you come to harden off as well, no need to take plants in and out everyday, just open zips the later remove covers. I wouldn't be without them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,938
    Better a small greenhouse than no greenhouse at all ! However, as you say it's a question of just how useful it's going to be. I think you just need to keep weighing up the pros and cons, only you can know for sure just how much use you'll get from it. If you can use the space for other reasons over the year, it might be worth sticking to a coldframe. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,551
    Any greenhouse at all would be a bonus for me so I would say of that’s all you can fit in, go for it! I can’t see how a 4x4 would heat up or cool down any faster than any other size, unless I am being dense (highly possible), surelyyou can apply the same shade netting/insulation to it regardless of size??
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,705
    edited 29 July
    I've got a small Access glass greenhouse which is a lean to type (back to back with porch). It's about 4' by 3' , with 3 inbuilt detachable metal shelves, sliding doors and sliding roof panes. I find it invaluable for bringing on seedlings (although I don't do much). I have grown tomatoes in two large pots stood on the floor and keep pots of bulbs away from the squirrels in winter/spring. Would it not be possible to 'cut down' your existing greenhouse to fit the space you've got. I understand you can get all the spare bits online. ( Or sell that one to finance the new one!).
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,690
    I'd found a suitable greenhouse on gumtree but it sold very quickly. I'm not keen to cut down my spare one as I hope to have space for it at the next house (along with my dad's 8'x12' but he doesn't know that yet :#). I'll keep an eye out though and if another crops up at the right price I think I'll go for it.
    Well a 4'andabitx6' greenhouse just flagged up on my gumtree alerts and I've arranged to go and see it later this week. It's a bit big for the space and the roof slopes the wrong way but it does have space for an extra tomato plant or 2 which can only be a bonus. The nights are getting colder too so it'll be nice to have some under cover space ready for sensitive plants.
    It fits the space nicely actually. I'm glad I went for the extra bit of length. The soil pipe is still in the way but it fits alongside so no big deal. I do have to get a snow guard for the roof of the house above it though or a lump of ice or broken tile could cause a lot of damage. I wish I'd thought of it before I put the frame up but at least I can move it at the moment with no glass in there.