Forum home Problem solving

my plants and shrubs are they poisonous for my new puppy

I have some plants and shrubs in my garden, and I have a new puppy, for the last few weeks she has had diarrhoea constantly I'm wondering if the plants are causing it any ideas

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,312
    Is she up-chucking bits of plant? It's unlikely, to be honest. More likely she's not getting on with what you're feeding her on purpose. If she was eating a plant, you'd see signs of it either in vomit or in the (in)famous canine condition of grassy-arse as it comes out the other end. They don't digest plant fibre, generally, so if they are eating enough of it to affect them, you do, er, see it again.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • maggsahmaggsah Posts: 4
    no she's not being sick just constant diarrhoea   
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,961
    It's extremely unlikely. She's more likely to have drunk some filthy water than eaten a plant, but I would take her to the vets if the diarrhea is persisting for that long. Probably worms or something like that.
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 556
    I second what WillDB said.  In young pups, it's more often worms. They are often even born with them.  You can often see them (or eggs that look like white rice) in their stools if it's worms.  If visible, either home worm them or let your vet do it. 

Changes in diet can upset digestive tracts.  I would avoid feeding any human "snacks" or foods, as each new one is reacted to as a "change in diet", which will give older dogs gas and diarrhea and it has an even worse effect on puppies.

My rat terrier as a puppy had issues with diarrhea occasionally that persisted beyond the likely worm-issue age.  My vet actually had me transition her to adult dog food at around 8-9 months as he told me all puppy kibble has milk in it and dairy products will upset canine digestive systems, causing both gas and diarrhea.  Once she went on adult dog food, the diarrhea stopped for good. 
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    Are you feeding her with wet food, tins or pouches,? She would probably be better on a good quality dried feed. 
    Assume she’s had her flea and worm treatments, although they do have to be administered regularly. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    If she has had diarrhoea for a few weeks I would get her to the vet pronto as she will be losing body fluids as well and that's not good in either kittens or puppies. Are you feeding her the same food as her breeder did? It's not wise to change their food at all but if you do want to change it, you must do it gradually .
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,623
    You say weeks, in that time has it been to the vet? Had inoculations? Were you given food by the owner to wean it off and onto your own? All these will have an impact on its health.
    I would like to thank everyone who has answered my problem, I have been to vet with Bonnie my pup, she has been  checked all over and she is fit full of vitality and well apart from the diarrhoea thank you once again much appreciated  
    Lyn said:
    Are you feeding her with wet food, tins or pouches,? She would probably be better on a good quality dried feed. 
    Assume she’s had her flea and worm treatments, although they do have to be administered regularly.

In answer to your questions I am feeding her dried puppy food what the breeder said to give her she's had all her treatments.  

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    An awful lot of popular garden plants, and wild ones, are more or less poisonous - one of the many reasons pets should be trained not to chew anything but its food and its toys.