Forum home The potting shed

Clematis suggestions please

I have a Clematis viticella 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' on my archway. It has flowered quite well but is viewed predominantly against a red brick wall so it doesn't show up much. I'm thinking of planting another as a companion to add the oomph I would like. Has anyone any suggestions for a variety which would make more of a splash of colour? I've been looking at Thorncroft clematis and there's so much choice. Thank you. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,281
    edited July 2019
    Try pairing it with Little Nell which has nodding flowers of a similar size but contrasting shape and colour at the same time as your PPE and is the same pruning group.   I grew one in my Belgian garden and it was a very good do-er.

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=573 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    Thank you Obelixx. It does look pretty. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    Apologies for sounding thick, @Joy*, but is it to put on the wall, or to go on the arch with the PPE and flower at the same time?
    Whites or pale pinks/lilacs will certainly do that. I've been looking at Maria Cornelia, which is white with dark anthers, and it's also a viticella, so will flower at this time of year. It's available from Taylor's Clematis.
    They also have Pistachio, which is similar but with huge, dark anthers. They both have open, single flowers, so would also be a good contrast to the one you have. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I really like the look of Maria Cornelia.  @Richard Hodson lists it on his Hawthorne's nursery site but is sold out for now.   He has a national collection of viticellas so is worth contacting anyway as he'll know if it would suit or if another may be better.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thank you Fairygirl. Yes I want to brighten up the garden. When we're sitting out  the PPE on the arch has a backdrop of the garage wall which is red brick with patches the same colour as PPE. I want to add another clematis to the arch and your suggestions are very helpful. Despite having had the garden designed professionally, what with the wrong roses being planted and several shrubs not really fitting in, I'm doing some reorganisation. I'd always intended doing the front garden myself so will be replanting some of the shrubs from the back in it. The roses are to be replaced so autumn is going to be busy! All suggestions are gratefully received. 
    Just noticed Obelixx you are in the Vendee! We had a home in Charente! Thank you for more suggestions.  It's good to have ideas apart from our own. I've never grown clematis before apart from the one we never saw because it flowered at the top of a very high apple tree. I think that I will be planting more than the one on the arch as I have a lot of fence to cover too.
    Careful!  They're addictive.   Apart from one or two, they need planting deeply to do well so make sure they are a few inches deeper than they were in their pots and that th ehole is enriched with planty of well-rooted manure or garden manure as they are both hungry and thirsty plants.   Planting deep also encourages them to produce extra shoots from the base so more flowers.  

I find clematis can take a couple of years to settle in and get going so nowadays I pot them up for a year or two so I can keep an eye on them andlet them develop stronger roots in peace without competition from neighbours in the borders.  That does mean you have to dig a bigger hole at planting time but it works for me.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    Could you add one to the garage wall as well @Joy* ?
    Perhaps an early one, which often don't need much attention.
    I bought a macropetala Lemon Dream from Thorncroft a couple of years ago. It settled in very well, produced a few flowers last year, then took off and was beautiful this year. I just tie it in along the fence where I want it. 

It's planted near Clem Miss Bateman, which is a single white with dark anthers, and a pale green bar when the flowers first open. They complement each other well, and lighten up the garden in early spring  :)
    Lemon Dream's one of the ones which likes a drier position, and they're good for next to walls as it's drier there. Mine is planted in a raised bed with a hydrangea, and is right at the back next to the fence. It's in the face of our usual rainfall, but has been totally happy.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

edited July 2019
    Fairygirl that looks stunning. We are surrounded by fences and walls. I like the idea of low maintenance as this is our forever home and eventually we all slow down. Easy maintenance is the order of the day I suppose because if you have plants you have to give them some care, or pay someone to do the caring. Currently my favourite plants are the Seneccio Angel's Wings as they light up the garden so well, especially at twilight when they positively glow. Sadly it's currently out of stock but I'll get a message when they have some for sale. The description says that it smells of grapefruit.  Does yours have scent, @Fairygirl? That would be a bonus as my garden should be a 'Scented Oasis '!  B)