Forum home Problem solving

Fruit tree sap

morning all, can anyone tell me why one of my potted fruit trees is producing this thick dark sap & whether I should do anything about it. This is a new tree that was planted last year. I appreciate any help on this.

Thankyou
Eileen

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,958
    *Bump*
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Eileen107Eileen107 Posts: 80
    Hi Lyn, Thankyou for taking the time to reply but am sorry I don’t understand your reply.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,518
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Eileen107

Your query was slipping down the forum and @Lyn realised that it was likely to disappear from view without having been answered, so although she couldn’t solve your problem herself, by posting a reply she ‘bumped’ it back up the forum and onto the first page again where hopefully someone who can help will see it. 

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hi Dovefromabove, Thankyou so much for telling me that. I thought I was being a bit dim 😊
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    That looks like a cherry tree and those produce resinous sap when they are damaged, either physically or by disease, so it probably isn't good news.  One possibility is bacterial canker, which could have entered where that pruning cut at the top is.  I would contact the supplier to see what they have to say but if no joy from them, I would cut it below the infection (where I have put a red line in a copy of your photo, below) using sharp secateurs, with any time over the next month being a good time to prune cherries.  Unfortunately, it looks like doing this may mean losing a branch.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,642
    Agree with everything BobTheGardener has said so far. Inspect the rest of your young tree. Cankers happen when there is an opening. Even a small crack or hole whether by insects or cuts. Make sure your equipment/blades are thoroughly cleaned before and after the cut.
    BobtheGardener, Thankyou for that. I will contact the buyer to see what they have to say & if no luck will cut it where you have shown. Your advice is much appreciated.

eileen 107
    Thankyou Borderline.