Forum home Plants

Help to identify 2 new arrivals

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
morning Everyone 

during a bit of a clean up yesterday I came across the two plants below. One has popped up in my pot of delphiniums which I cut back recently. It has grown very rapidly so I’m thinking possible weed. Bottom photo.

the second one is growing under a Rose bush and is very spindly, but possibly as it is struggling for space and light. First photo.

as always thanks for your ideas and counsel.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    The top one looks like hemp.....possibly.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I agree, it looks like Cannabis sativa, probably a seed from a bird feeder.

The second has me baffled, that leaf shape with the terminal notch is quite unusual.  The tulip tree, Liriodendron tulipifera, is the only plant I know that has a terminal notch, but the overall leaf shape is not like your plant, more like the leaf of a London plane with the end cut off.  I do hope you find out!
  • Think its figwort Latin name unpronouncable bit thuggish self seeds everywhere insignificant flower although the bees love it bit takes up a bit of space biannual
  • Sorry that's the second one
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
    Ok hemp from bird feeder is a real possibility.... I’ve been pulling up loads os stray plants from things the blue tits chucked out of the feeders! I’ll go look up 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
    The leaves of figwart seem more pointed and more slender, so don’t thing it’s that one.