Forum home Wildlife gardening

Which plants in your garden do butterflies like best?

13»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,338
    They alwasy loved scabious when I used to grow it. Buddleia here for painted ladies, torties and peacocks, although they also flit around on other things like heleniums, rocket and sweet peas. Only had one red admiral sighting, which is odd. We always get them a bit later than the others- about mid August - but they've been very absent this year.  :(
    Lovely pic @jaffacakes. 'My' peacocks love sitting on the warm gravel, or my bench, but this one enjoyed sitting on the lonicera and ivy on the fence 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• EmerionEmerion Posts: 380
     Over this August  bank holiday weekend, my sedums were smothered in painted ladies, tortoiseshells and an occasional red admiral and peacock. Best show of butterflies for years, so glad I planted them. They really are the best option for late summer/autumn butterflies. 
    Carmarthenshire 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,338
    Our sedums are yet to flower, but you're right @Emerion, they're great for all sorts of butterflies. :)
    Acteas are great for Red Admirals too, although mine aren't flowering yet. Perhaps a few more will start to appear once they flower. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....