Forum home Problem solving

School lawn

I am looking for advice please. My children's school lawn is in a sorry state. It is very well used. Unfortunately it now has a lot of weed in it and a lot of large bald patches. The summer holidays is the only really good time to repair it as it has minimal use during this time. The lawn is often in shade and the ground is poor quality with lots of stone in it. Would you be able to recommend any grass seed mix that might have a chance of germinating and establishing it self over the summer that is hardy? The school sadly has no funds to returf it and the seed and labour is kindly being donated by my family. 

Thanks in advance for any tips/recommendations you can offer. 

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    I think it would be a good idea to contact some of the grass seed merchants who will be able to tell you the best mixture for your particular bit of greensward. They will also be able to tell you exactly how much you will need for the area. As to establishing in time for next term, that might be a little ambitious as the new grass will need time to mature a little before being hammered by small feet. Providing the weather is okay and you can keep the area well watered then it should establish fairly quickly.
    I wish you luck with this and it is a lovely thing you are doing for the school.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Stones in the ground will not cause big issues with the area. Pick the larger pieces out first. Choose a seed mix that is catered for shady areas. They will say that on the packet/box. If you re-seed gaps/patches at this time of year, you will need to water it for long periods in the evenings or early mornings.

Rake over the bare patches to loosen the top layer of soil and then work in some fine top soil using a stiff broom or the back of the rake to give the area a nice surface for the seeds to grab onto. Broadcast the seeds as directed on the packet, and water in if no rain afterwards. Autumn time is best for this job, but if you only have this time slot, then you must water the area often. Germination can be quite fast in the warm weather.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    It will be difficult to get seed to germinate at this time of year, especially if it is dry.   But you can try if you are able to water it regularly if no rain.  What you need is a shade tolerant grass species that is also hard wearing.  So go to a good garden centre and see if they still have a range of grass seed, and look for packets that contain grasses called fescues.   Then hard rake the area to be seeded, perhaps add some topsoil, lightly level it,  seed it and then flatten it again. (You can use a plank of wood that you put down, Walk along, and then move).  

Other things you could do would be to see if there is an area where the grass is good because its not used as much.   It’s hard work, but you can cut turves out of the good grass, and swap with turves cut out of the poor area.  And then try to improve the poor ones.

Or you could do it bit by bit at the right time of year, perhaps involving the children.  Fence off a small area, seed it etc etc.  And then do another area next year. 

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    I suggest you set this as a project for mid September during wet weather.  It won't germinate without a daily sprinkler just now 
  • Unfortunately the kids will ruin it if it is seeded in September. 
  • Thank you all for your great advice.