Forum home Problem solving

What’s wrong with my hydrangea?

jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
Newly planted (last two weeks) in a spot which gets full morning and midday sun… against a south-east facing wall ... adjacent plants, also planted at the same time, all happy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,089
    Frazzled by the sun ... hydrangeas prefer semi-shaded spots, particularly until they are established.

Your new plant is likely to have come from a semi-shaded spot in a nursery ... we’ve had high temperatures and very bright sunshine which will have been magnified by the reflective white wall. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    When you transplant it to a shady spot, don’t put it close to a wall, it’s going to grow very big and will need lots of water, close to a wall will shade it from the rain. 
    There are a few threads on here at the moment about hydrangeas, you need to bear in mind they grow huge in all directions.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Agree with all the observations and advice so far. I do think you have planted all your plants too close to one another. In a year’s time, they will be fighting for space. All those plants also need depth as well as width.
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
    Ok thanks.  I’ll lift it and repot tomorrow and move the purple thing along a bit.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,089
     🤔  ... it won’t be happy in a pot ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh