Forum home Problem solving

Cauliflower not hearting up.

I seem to have great difficulty growing cauliflower. They get to about tennis ball size and then they just burst open, the plants themselves are very healthy with nice fresh leaves. I have no problem growing cabbage in the same soil so can someone please tell me where I am going wrong.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    They are hard to grow well, but if I tell you what I do on improved clay soil, you may see something which may help.  They are started in small modules and transplanted to 4" pots when showing a couple of true leaves.  Grown on until they have 5 true leaves and then planted deep (right up to the lower leaves) and firmed-in well to their final growing positions.  The ground has well-rotted farmyard manure spread on the autumn before and I fork in a bit of fish, blood & bone to the general area before planting.  Regular watering is a must in dry weather or they will bolt.  If you have sandy soil then copius amounts of well-rotted FYM is a must in order to retain enough moisture.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    I’m sure I remember hearing, possibly on GQT, that cauliflowers will fail to fest up if they are planted too closely together. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh