Forum home The potting shed

Dream gardens

I don't mean the ones we'd have if time, space, and money were infinite.  I mean, asleep and dreaming.

Is it just me, or does anyone else dream about a garden much bigger than your real one, with multiple water features, some of them architectural, and others containing such unlikely residents as seals and tortoises?  Mine is full of fruit-laden trees:  huge luscious peaches, several apple varieties, usually trained against walls, grapefruit and mango, and occasionally melons, which my waking self knows do not grow on trees.  I'm continually delighted by finding lovely plants which I either didn't remember planting, or I thought they'd died. 

Last night brought a new twist:  three dodgy-looking characters keep getting in over a wall, including an old man with a long beard.  When I told them to b*****off, they started telling me everything I was doing wrong with my plants.

• NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057

josusa47, I have often dreamt and wish for a slightly better shape and bigger garden. I would love to have a bigger veg/fruit garden that is not seen from the house but with a winding path from the lawn that you go along and wonder what you'll find. One that is full of birds anbee etc. If only.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,736
    My favourite dream garden ever since I studied that poem many years ago:
    In Xanadu did Kubla Khan 
    A stately pleasure-dome decree: 
    Where Alph, the sacred river, ran 
    Through caverns measureless to man 
       Down to a sunless sea. 
    So twice five miles of fertile ground 
    With walls and towers were girdled round; 
    And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills, 
    Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree; 
    And here were forests ancient as the hills, 
    Enfolding sunny spots of greenery. 
    ... more at https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43991/kubla-khan
    S.T. Coleridge.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).