Where do I position my bird house

Hello, I have a couple birdhouses and I do not know where to position them, also do I need to fill the bird houses with anything.

My garden is South facing.

• DamhahDamhah Posts: 40

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 846
    I think the usual advice is to put the on a north facing wall so they don't get overheated by the sun. Mine face NE and are used regularly.

You don't need to put anything inside. The birds will do that! You should clean them out each autumn though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,692
    I agree with @Singing Gardener ... also allow for a clear flight path for the birds to access the nest box and for bluetits it should be at 5 -6 ft from the ground. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,743
    Remove the peg on the front as it allows predator birds easier access but isn't needed for small birds. I'd sand the entrance hole too as it's a bit rough. A handful of wood shavings in the base makes it easier to clean in the winter and keeps the base dry.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,118
    The only other thing I would mention is the usual wind direction,  try not to have the entrance into the wind.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    And please don't put them where cats could get a paw in. Cats are excellent climbers and will take the baby birds if they can get access. Think fences and trees.