Forum home Problem solving

What type of poppy is this?

KazzerhKazzerh Posts: 10
edited July 2019 in Problem solving
Hi, I grew what I thought were Himalayan poppies (that’s what it said on the packet) but they came through thick and fast - most unlike them I hear - and looking at the leaves now they don’t look like online images. They look more like parsley!  Can anyone identify them for me please? Thank you. 

• KazzerhKazzerh Posts: 10

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,475
    My thought was flat leaved parsley.  They are the wrong shape for Meconopsis type poppies, even the red or yellow type.  Where did you get the seeds from?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,876
    Looks similar to flat leaf parsley - I grow it every year.
    If you crush a leaf does it smell like parsley?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Hi, thanks for responding.  I don’t grow/use parsley but having rubbed a leaf or two I can confirm there’s no scent, which surely there must be?  I’m reluctant to plant them out until I know what they are. All I can think is the inner seed sachet was accidentally mixed up.
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 567
    looks a bit like coriander
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,528
    Hello Kazzerh. Those are definitely not the leaves of Meconopsis betonicifolia which look like this:
    Image result for Meconopsis betonicifolia leaf images
    They definitely have the look of Meconopsis cambrica - the Welsh poppy:
    Related image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    Yes it does, which I wouldn’t mind except I wanted the blue poppy!  Maybe I’ll give them away and just keep a few back to see what they turn out to be. Ah well ...
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 596
    My first thought was coriander, but if it doesn’t smell.....
    Not Welsh poppy though.  I have millions of those seeding in my garden.
    East Anglia
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,475
    Time to complain to Thompson and Morgan. They are definitely not Meconopsis.
    I would if I was less than 99.5% sure that’s what it said on the sachet, and likely they’d just ignore me anyway!