Screening help

I’m hoping you can all help a very newbie gardener 🙏 
We have quite a small garden and at the bottom it backs onto another house. We currently have a fence that we’re going to replace, 2 conifers and an acer tree. We’d like to replace the conifers but want the same screening that these provide from the neighbours. We are also planning on removing the wall in front of the trees. 

Has anybody got any suggestions of what we can do? I’ve thought of having pots along the fence with bamboo growing? 

Thanks!
Photo below

• NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    I have two Bamboo in pots as a screen but don't place them close to the fence as the house over the fence can still see onto our garden and lounge. I have placed the nearer to the house and it has blocked there view onto our patio and into our lounge. If you do this and plant something to replace the conifers in time you would have been able to grow something you like as opposed to something to get the area covered quickly. Think about the fact that conifers stay green all year round but most other tree's don't. If you planted bamboo at the end of your garden and not in pots you will need to think about how you are going to contain them for they will spread.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,819
    Bamboos can run out of control and spread all over the place so any container will have to be strong enough to stop the stuff getting out and running riot. https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-bamboo-in-a-container/

• jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 332
    I wonder would the acer look nicer moved in dormant season into the lawn area near the shed perhaps and then fill in other area with other shrubs or another hedge. The Acer looks fairly mature but apparently they move quite well.
  • kchadderskchadders Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies. We have thought of moving the acer to the corner but was worried about killing it off so that’s good news about them moving well. What time of year is best to move a tree? 

Thanks for the link Ceres, I’ll have a proper look at that. 

I hadn’t thought about moving the bamboo closer to the house Nannaboo, this could be an option

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 430
    If that was my garden I'd plant a row of a columnar variety of taxus...the grow fairly slowly but will eventually look so beautiful. Admittedly I don't care for screening my neighbours...but hey ho. But glad you're getting rid of those conifers...they look awful in that location. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    You could plant a Bay on either side they are evergreen but not sure how fast they would grow. If you get rid of the conifers you might be able to grow something in front of whatever you decide on. Conifer take the water out of the soil, thats why grass won't grow under them it's to dry. If you want to create privacy you will need and evergreen.
  • bullfinchbullfinch Posts: 194
    As you are replacing the rear fence, would you consider putting up a trellis across the top horizontally too? (not sure if I'm explaining myself very well!) It would raise the height of the fence a little as well. Then you could grow some climbers. 
  • jenny794jenny794 Posts: 18
    I like Holly plants for screening. They are thick, evergreen and I love the berries in Autumn/Winter. They are great for attracting birds. The downside is they are slow-growing so if you can't buy a mature specimen then it probably won't work for you. Another evergreen option is Arbutus unedo (strawberry tree) which is attractive with pretty fruit. The Pyracantha family is also a good choice.