Bargain basement plants

• EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 197
    Fingers crossed for you. I've had a few plants suffer with powdery mildew this year. Self grown lupins being the worst. I give up on them to be honest. Tried for years to grow them with zero success. Something or other always gets them. I tend to get most of my bargains from morrisons, ive had some great purchases out of their reduced corner. Always have a nosey when I pop along for my shopping. Love bargain corner posts on here. Makes you feel good when you save something doesn't it.  :)
  • Love hearing about all the bargain plants and looking forward to seeing how they get on. I got another hardy fuschia a couple of weeks ago which is now doing great. I did miss out on a couple of dahlias I was keeping an eye on at Waitrose. He got the two lovely peachy colour ones but I did get a very nice pink one.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,735
    In 2015 I bought a small sugar bowl with some small succulents in for £1 from a charity shop.
    All plants very small (and un-named) and doing well but as the pot had no drainage holes I repotted the small plants individually.
    I now have 5 really nice plants which if bought from a special nursery would set me back a bit!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 963
    Today’s bargain plant of the day is this cyclamen for £1:

Sadly no before pictures but it was horribly floppy before a day’s worth of rain perked it up again! I love the vivid pink so it should replace the pelargoniums which have now stopped flowering. Already seen a couple of fluffy bumblebees enjoying it :)
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 963

B&Q had a selection of trees reduced. Malus included.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,017
    Lovely,  they’ve turn our local b&q into a Costa, M&S food hall and B&M 😢
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Lyn said:
    Lovely,  they’ve turn our local b&q into a Costa, M&S food hall and B&M 😢
    Are you not an M&S lady ☺
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,054
    That's a shame @Lyn. It's still such a useful store. Expensive if you need a bulk buy of anything, but I couldn't do without mine for all sorts of stuff - timber, screws, drill heads etc.
    Despite the ease of t'interweb, sometimes you need a quick solution. I managed to drop my countersink bit into the hedge last year and could I find it? Quick trip to good old B&Q, and problem solved  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 10,903
    I prefer screwfix for that kind of thing

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,054
    We have a Screwfix too, but a good bit further away, and I've not had as good quality from them. Probably just the items I've bought though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....