Forum home Plants

Bargain basement plants

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    That's a shame @Lyn. It's still such a useful store. Expensive if you need a bulk buy of anything, but I couldn't do without mine for all sorts of stuff - timber, screws, drill heads etc.
    Despite the ease of t'interweb, sometimes you need a quick solution. I managed to drop my countersink bit into the hedge last year and could I find it? Quick trip to good old B&Q, and problem solved  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 14,681
    I prefer screwfix for that kind of thing

In London. Keen but lazy.
    We have a Screwfix too, but a good bit further away, and I've not had as good quality from them. Probably just the items I've bought though. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,484
    We have a Screwfix but no diy stores at all now. I suppose in this day and age, everyone calls a man in to do the work for them. 
    I knew a man who was very clever,  head of English department at a good school , called someone in to hang a picture! 
    I buy interior and exterior emulsion from Wilco now, all delivered for 5.00 it’s worth that to me. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

My BIL is a bit like that @Lyn. Highly intelligent and articulate and funny,  but couldn't stick a thumb tack in a wall to save his life  :)
    I think I just spent a lot of time watching my Dad doing stuff.  :)
    It's progress too - people don't repair things. I learnt to rewire a plug at an early age, but nowadays everything comes with one, so people no longer have the need. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    folk order delivery take aways via an app from a fast food place on the same road where they live.
    Some call it progress, I call it lazy gullible consumerism.
    Why are folk so stupid they jump on every band wagon which rolls along?
    Devon.
    Lemmings  :)

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    I have had some really good ("search and rescue") bargains in our local Strikes GCs
    What I cannot stand is those wretched dyed heathers. they bring out this time of year.  
    An abomination . 
    What do others think? Dyed any  plants come to that. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Coryopteris Heavenly Blue In 2 litre pot at BM. Was priced at £3.99 reduced to £1.99. In very good health and flowering so a bargain to my wallet 
    I don't understand them either @Iamweedy. As bad as the plastic, hanging box balls.
    I can't see how it became a 'thing' either. Who came up with that to earn their wage  :/
    I've not had any recent bargains, but I had some Liatris and Lilies for a pound or two some years ago. They're all doing well now.